Friday, July 1, 2011

Closets & Thrift Stores





I hate it when you can't find anything to wear.  You try something on that looked great before but...it's too warm or doesn't seem to fitting the same (like that time of the month), or is suddenly out of style!  All of those reasons drive me crazy but none more than the last one.  Because suddenly you can't wear that shirt, pants, dress anymore in public! To avoid this I try and get the stylish basics, but I haven't been doing a very good job of keeping my clothing stock updated.  Working at a coffee shop and being a stay at home mom don't normally call for high fashion attire. 

I had felt like my closet was lacking in stylish clothes but it looked full.  It wasn't until one frustrating morning I decided to evicted my winter wardrobe.  "HOLY NO CLOTHES BATMAN!!"  Suddenly cardigans were a good half of the closet, a fourth was skirts and then another fourth t-shirts.  "Wow, I let myself go..."  But no more!  I was going to be stylish & fun!  AND under budget. :D

It is a well know fact that my sister and I rarely buy clothing full price.  Normally, we have a coupon, get it from the sales rack, or (and this is where we get the majority of our clothes) get it from a Thrift Store.  We are soo keen on Thrift store shopping that a $10 anything seems overpriced.

But before you go shopping there are a few things you need to do.
              1. Pray.    "And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing,  yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
    “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.  Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matt 6: 28-33
If you are like me your eyes rolled back into your head while your were reading this.  "Yeah, yeah the Bible is a great feel good book but seriously we are talking about SHOPPING!"  Also, my same thoughts...at first but I tell you what when God has his hand on my heart I feel the best and dress the best as well! Plus, who best to direct you to all the sales then the maker of the universe?!

        2. Do Some Research.    This helps you see what is in style and imagine what a shirt or skirt would look like as a piece of your wardrobe.  I like to look on sites like Pinterest or just save pictures of outfits that I really enjoy.  Others like to see what people around them are wearing, either way you need to get inspiration.

        3. Time.  Good thrift store shopping takes some time.  My last visit took a little over two hours in one store! The method is simple: go straight to the area where you need something.  (i.e. t-shirts, tanks, pants, etc.)  and go through that whole section as it pertains to your size.  I normally run from X-Small to Medium depending on the brand.  Don't over think your purchase just yet; if you like something on the rack throw it in the cart.  Once you have gone through all the areas of interest in the store, head to the fitting rooms.  Try on everything!  I knew a girl who refused to try on the clothes because she was a germ-a-phob and time after time things would not fit, lay right, the color was just wrong and she was stuck with it.

I know this sounds romantic but I want to fall in love with something before I purchase it.  It starts with the meeting, then you try it on.  I know I like something when I can think of tons of ways to wear it and I want to want to wear it over and over again, not just once to that one thing.  No my clothes are to have and to hold until the style changes or holes & stains set in. There have been times that I have looked at the $2 price tag and purchased something I didn't love and I just end up giving it away or back to the thrift store; what a waste of $2.  I can try on clothes at the mall for cheaper!

Here to come is the loot that I purchased from Jessy's and my last trip to the Thrift Store. But in the mean time this is a list of what I got:
Three pairs of  shoes
Two pairs of skinny jeans (one Delia's and the other Jeggings)
Two Pairs of Shorts (One Gap and the other Old Navy)
One Old Navy workout tank
One Alyn Paige dress
AND Eleven Tops ranging from Anne Taylor Loft to Bitten
For everything I spent $108.  (I still need to take all the pictures.)   My wardrobe has been revived and it is ten times easier to get ready in the morning and still look good!  I can't wait to share what I got and compare some of the looks to things @ JCrew! This is why I let God do the shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment