Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cloud 9 Pillows


Ted short for Teddy
If you know me in person you know that I am not a seamstress, if I do sew it is a square shape of some sort.  Plus, fabric is expensive; why spend more and get lower quality (yeah my quality...not so good) instead of just buying something in the clearance section?   But there is always that "What if?" in the back of my head when I pass the sewing section at the local craft store.  What if I could make exactly what I wanted, something I couldn't just buy off the shelf for cheaper then buying something like it?

Well, through a good friend I was inspired to look at a new source for fabric...a used source.  For N's birthday last November I made him a teddy bear using one of Steve's old t-shirts; it turned out super cute and I feel like Ted (short for Teddy) is a perfect combination of mommy and daddy to have as a friend. 


Suddenly, the seed was planted and I looked in other places for used fabric that could be transformed or "upcycled" into something my family and I would love. Then it happened! I found this cloud sheet at the local thrift store, it was perfect and I had to have it for N's room. Plus, the price was right, one dollar!

Sticking to my square sewing I thought a pillow case would be perfect and started by breaking out one of my own pillow cases as reference.  After cutting the fabric (it was a fitted sheet. So, all the elastic and seams had to be removed so that it would lay flat), marking where hems were to go it was time to sew.

If you want the step by step you can contact me but for blog sake I'm going to spare you.  Instead, look at the super cute pillow case N now has for his room! and I still have fabric left for other projects to come!   Have you "upcycled" anything lately? Let me know, I love a good inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment