Saturday, May 26, 2012

CSA Excitement


For about two plus years now my mother and I have talked about CSA's (Community Support Agriculture).  She introduced me to the phrase and community behind it, but until this week I was just all talk.

What it is, is a farmer who sells you a "share" of his TO BE produce. In this fashion the farmer can set out to grow a certain amount of produce (depending on how many shareholders he has) without the risk of not selling it.   The CSA that I am going with Danjo Farms has produce coming from multiple farms, all of which are either Certified Naturally Grown or Certified Organic.  I purchased 24 weeks of fruits and veggies AND eggs wit a weekly cost is $27.00.  Now, with the CSA that I went with you can tailor your fruit and veggie needs to your family and budget.  Here is their description of each share:

"The weekly food share includes an average of 7 to 9 vegetable items for a full share and 5 to 7 vegetables items for a half share. A full share should be ample for a family of two to four adults who cook at home regularly and eat a lot of vegetables.  A half share is a good size for two adults who do not cook at home every night. A quarter share is more than enough for a single person wanting locally grown food, too!"

We have a small garden in the backyard I figured I would only need a 1/4 share, but wanted eggs and fruit as well (we purchased a full share of fruit). 

So, why am I telling you about this other than it is sooo cool?! Well, today was my first share pick-up!  Check out the loot!  So, far I am really excited about this program, and I'm really excited about cooking all the amazing produce! 

No comments:

Post a Comment