Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Love: *the toddler cafe*

As mentioned in the previous post I've been having a hard time getting N to eat full meals.  He does well to "try" everything but quickly decides that chips and ranch taste WAY better.  So, I turned to my local library for ideas on how to feed my picky toddler, and low and behold I found Jennifer Carden's The Toddler Cafe

Truth be told I actually borrowed two toddler cook books and tried the recipes in both but N like the meals and snacks in this book way more than the other (I'm not going to mention which book I compared this too...just in case). 

The first snack of choice is Creamy Cloud Dip.  I loved this recipe because of the simplicity and great nutrition and N loved it because it tastes awesome! Can you say "Win WIN!" 

One 5.3 oz container of plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup sweetened flake coconut
1 ts honey
1 ts vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients, chill and serve with pretzels, fresh, frozen (N liked his with frozen blue berries) or dried fruit, or spread it on crackers. 

Something else that this book helps with is imagination.  Not only for the child (it goes over fun food conversation ideas that you and your toddler could have), but also for you the cook.  For me I had some ice cream cones baked apples (a staple @ my house), this dip and of course frozen blue berries.  As you can tell from the pictures N couldn't get enough!

Rethinking vegetables was a needed change for me. N was soo bored with the same old peas, carrots, and whatever else I tried to feed him that he gave up trying them.  They taste like they did yesterday...duh.  But in this book you not only blend peas to make pancakes you also add them to yogurt, & chocolate and get Popsicles! 

Lily Pad Pancakes
Frozen peas, thawed
2 Tbl water
1 egg
3 Tbl all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp Baking Powder
Vegetable oil, as needed
Butter, Plain yogurt (or Ranch in N's case)

If you want some pea chunks in your lily pad set some peas aside.  Add remaining peas to a blender with water and egg; puree until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the flour, salt, and baking powder and gradually mix with a fork or whisk.  Stir in the reserved peas; let batter rest for about 10 min (while you clean up).
Oil a skillet or saute pan and warm over medium heat.  Cook Lily Pads as you would pancakes.  Serve warm with butter, yogurt or ranch.

I am sold on this book, and can't wait to try the other recipes it has within its pages.  Plus! I think this would be the cutest baby shower gift for the foodie mom to be in your life!

N not finding something in his Easter basket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment