Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day One Of Cleaning School

Apartment Therapy


I was so worried that I was going to get all defensive or apologetic when my cleaning teacher, Julie Gates, came over yesterday.  I didn't but I was soooo nervous!  I've known Julie for a long time and really respect her opinion especially on design and CLEANING and felt like I was going to be letting her down by showing her all the dirty things in my house. 

But once she got there and we got some small talk in and stories of our little ones the atmosphere changed and we rolled up our sleeves to get to work.  

Note: I'm sharing this on here for two reasons.  One as much as I think all my problems and quirks are just mine, I know, through experience, that there are others that deal with the same things I do.  So, hopefully though my learning you'll get to learn too.  Plus! you won't have to put your ego on the line.  :)

Second, I need to make sure I take good notes and what better way to keep track of your notes and thoughts than on this blog?!

(Daily chores = * , Weekly or Bi-Weekly = **, As Needed = + )   

That said we started on the kitchen yesterday.  I cook and bake a lot plus the kitchen for a long time was my crafting area.  So, everything from sewing to hot gluing and who knows what else in between was home to the kitchen.  It is well lit, open and has lots of flat surfaces, but it was really starting to show off that it was used a lot.

To start off we *cleared the counters by washing all the dishes, drying them and collapsing the dish rack.  *Moving everything that didn't belong in the kitchen like purses and junk mail out.  This allowed us to focus on just the kitchen itself.

Next, the sink was filled with hot soapy water and the cleaning rags were broke out.  With rag in hand Julie attacked.

First Attack:
  • Wiped down ALL flat surfaces: Counters (decor on them too!), Table, window sill (and any decor on the sill), trays (either for plants or soaps). *
  • Wiped down walls and anything on them (includes light switch plates, art, etc)**
  • Dusted the tops of the cabinets. Removed all cob webs. +
Note: To make it easier for you to clean these surfaces regularly it is best to de-clutter your counters.  Put away as many appliances as you can. Try to limit your self to one or at most three big things on each counter and even less than that around cooking areas (small items can be clustered to count for one big item if you have them in a (1) container. i.e. utensil holder).  I even had to find a new place for some spices and hot pads because they were around my cooking top and were getting greasy from all my cooking.

Second Attack:
  • Cabinets doors and drawer fronts (if you have a hard time making your cabinets look clean try furniture polish!). **
  • Wipe down and shine appliances: both on and off the Counters. (i.e. refrigerator, oven, microwave, coffee maker, etc.). *&**
Note: A good way to make a room look really clean is by focusing on a few items.  For me I have a great stainless steel espresso machine (a gift from my wonderful husband!!) and white sink.  If I keep both of those shined up it will make the room look and feel much cleaner than if I just had the counters wiped down.

Homework: All **
  • Wipe down your base boards.
  • Wipe down all your shelves (I have to do this because I have open shelves).
  • Wipe down the top of the refrigerator.
  • Deep clean stove top and area around it.
  • Wipe down trash can lid
  • Clean windows.
he has grown so much those pants fit him now. wow!
N dancing about a month ago...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad it was a good exsperince for you. I was a bit nerous too...becuase I do have my opinions and I never know how the reciever is going to take them! You were a great reciever and I'm glad it's giving you a new view on cleaning. Look forward to helping with the living area next!

    ReplyDelete