Monday, July 15, 2013

Sick Days and no TV

isn't he a peach!

Okay, the day after I started our no TV during the week plan (experiment) Jane had a 102.2 fever associated with (of course!) and ear infection.  Unlike N, Jane's temperament is very fussy when she is sick especially with ear issues which meant I was holding her from Thursday till Saturday.  My productivity was very limited (let me also add that because of the ear Jane couldn't lay flat which meant I was holding her for naps too...good cuddle time though.  Gosh I love that girl!).

I say all that to humbly admit that while Jane was sick we did watch TV.  Yep, N and I really couldn't go anywhere or do much, especially when she was sleeping, so we alternated watching Chuck & Friends and Rachel Ray.  At one point I found N in the kitchen with a pot and whisk obviously RR was getting to him. LOL!

But since Saturday we haven't watched TV and I can tell that N is benefiting from the lack of TV.  He isn't nearly as hyper, he's a better listener, speaker and is better at playing with his toys.  I enjoy him more bottom line. I love my kids but when you are constantly telling them to stop that or don't do something it's wearing.

So, far so good.  We are headed to the library to get more books (and I'm very tempted to head to Savers Thrift Store and buy some).  Books have been our friends and so have movie sound tracks (although I'm looking into actually recording just the audio of some of Nolan's fav movies.  Something I had when I was a kids for long car trips).

Do you have any no TV suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great perspective on creativity:
    http://simplehomeschool.net/creativity/
    While the entire article isn't about no TV time, it is about living mindfully, creatively. I've found that the more we choose interesting projects and adventures the less time there is for TV, computer games, etc. - although we do enjoy them sometimes. Living out life is much better than sitting in front of a device. Your children will come to this understanding as they live. I applaud your efforts! :) (Also, your deck pictures are beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete