Wednesday, July 10, 2013

To TV or Not To TV

There is a big hub bub in blog world (or maybe in the whole world) about kids watching tv, playing with electrical devices, etc.  For the longest time I was very wishy washy about it.  I grew up watching TV and I'm fine.  Plus, I am very protective when it comes to what N watches even down to commercials. So, I thought I was doing pretty good, except I can't get the boy to concentrate anymore. And all he wants to do is watch a screen of some sort.  He doesn't want to play with his toys or go outside or READ! 

So, today is the first day of our TV fast and it went pretty good.  Some of his actions I expected: He nagged about wanting to watch TV, play games or even play on my phone.  He also wanted to snack a lot and in our house there is no eating in between meals. But other than that he did well and by the end of the day he only asked once to watch TV.  

I'm really fascinated to see what changes will occur if any in my handsome three & an half year old.  He will be allowed to watch TV on the weekend (Saturday, Sunday),  but during the week no TV.   I'm also quite scared, he is very capable little guy and gets into mischief rather frequently, we'll see if my home survives this.  What I'm going for is a two pronged approach: 1. I'm going to read a lot  (might even write a story about him, if so I'll post it here) & 2. I'm going to help him start imaginary play at times but also leave him to his imagination.   I don't want to get into the trap of trying to entertain him all the time.  I know that he is capable of doing that himself, he just needs to re-learn it.   I keep repeating that in my head, "He is capable of entertaining himself...man I hope he's not drawing on the wall." Ah, pray for us!

1 comment:

  1. keep me updated on how that goes! I boxed up a lot of the boys toys and it has boosted there imagination.

    ReplyDelete