Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter Was The Best


If you just got done reading my rant on the value of Easter and how I've never seen the holiday in good light, you might be wondering what happened this year.  Well, it was wonderful to say the least.  We grilled lamb and had a feast! There were fresh flowers, beautiful weather, wonderful company composed of friends and family.  

We held the celebration at my house, and were a little worried when EVERYONE that we invited decided that they were going to come (normally, I invite over our house's capacity because a good fourth turn down the offer). Plus, to make matters a little bit scarier neither Steve nor I had ever grilled/baked or touched lamb in our lives and many of our guests had never tasted the meat.  My little sister-in-law Rachel, who is eleven, was convinced that she had had the meat before but then was surprised that she couldn't find it at the buffet table.
"Where's the leg of lamb?"
"It's right there." I said while pointing at what appeared more like a roast than a leg of something.
"No, lamb leg is much smaller and it has a little bone sticking out." she corrected me.
"Rachel, have you ever seen a real lamb? They can be bigger than my dogs.  I think you are thinking of something else, maybe drum sticks which are on the grill right now."
"Oh..."
"Do you want to try the lamb?"
"No, that's okay." 
Looking back I probably shouldn't have referenced the lamb being the same size as my beloved dogs (two animals that Rachel adores).

 Hot off the grill the lamb was wonderful.  Steve seasoned and grilled it like a master, and much to our surprise we had very little leftovers of the meat. 
 

Here was our holiday menu:
Antipasti
Vegetable and Fruit Platter

Greens
Cesar Salad
Green Beans
 
Sides
Flat Bread
Baby Potatoes
 
Meats
Leg of Lamb
Quinn’s Chicken
 
Dessert
Vanilla Ice Cream
Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
Povitica aka Walnut Bread
 
Drinks
PassionTea Lemonade
Water
Pop

So, scary food out of the way we still were a bit worried about seating, all around utensils, plates, and glasses.  In other words were weren’t sure we could serve our party without breaking out the paper plates, and plastic cups (two things I really don’t like for reasons I’m sure to go into later). 

Well, God smiled on us and allowed the weather to be perfect for alfresco dinning.  Plus, my sister had just been given, by my Grandmother, a beautiful dish set that had the perfect number of plates including platters that she was dying to breakout (unfortunately I didn't get a full picture of the set or one dish for that matter). 

All worrying aside it was a magical day, full of stories, laughter, and a big surprise.  My brother and his wife are PREGNANT!

This would have to be my favorite Easter ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment