Thursday, April 8, 2010

Tornado Warning

 So, my sister Jessica, works at The American Restaurant, and because of her job she normally comes home with a multitude of stories.  This story, though, needed to be shared.  Enjoy!

 ---------

Tornado Warning By Jessica R. Quinn

I was at work one day in Kansas City when two women walked into our restaurant. One woman was from Arkansas, the other was from New York.
On this particular day there was a rather bad Thunderstorm going on. There was no Danger of anyone getting hurt, but the Restaurant that I work at has Three Walls that are made almost completely out of glass windows. If one peered out of the two story glass walls they were reminded just what it was like outside.

I seated the woman at a nice window table as requested. Being on the fourth floor, a window table at our restaurant has a fantastic view of Kansas City.

Arkansas: It sure is pouring out there!

Me: yes it really is, but I kinda like to watch the lightning.

Arkansas: are you already if a Tornado hits?

I was about to give my answer when I heard a startled screech coming for the other side of the table.

New York: They get Tornados here?!?

Arkansas: Oh yeah!! This is Tornado Ally!

New York: My Husband didn’t tell me there were Tornados here!

Arkansas: Oh! And it’s Tornado season! They get them all the time this time of year!

At this point the lady from New York is getting Frantic. Her eyes full of worry search the windows with her hand clinched tightly to the armrests of the chair, looking like she could bolt at any moment.
As the Hostess it is my Job to make all customers feel at ease. (even if it would be more fun to play with their heads) so I stepped in.

Me: Don’t worry. There are no Tornado Warnings out at the moment, and even if something did happen, we are fully prepared to get you out safe and sound.

As I’m saying this, the wind picks up, it starts to hail, and the rain starts coming down so hard you can’t see anything but white out of the window.

Arkansas: Hey Look! Bad weather and Hail! Thos always happen right before a Tornado!

New York is now shaking. Arkansas is trying to scare her friend to death and is about half way there, and I’m trying to think of something to say.

Me: don’t worry, we’ve never had a Tornado hit here.

Arkansas: Don’t say that! That’s what my husband said right before a tornado hit our house!

I couldn’t help it. I laughed! As soon as got over my giggle fit, I knocked on one of the wooden arm rests, got their drink order and left. I gave up.

I guess New York got over her fear because two and a half hours later they were the last ones in the restaurant. Robert, one of our servers, came up to me with an exasperated expression on his face. He wanted to go home, and these woman where keeping him from doing it!

As he was telling me his woes, I started to giggle.

Robert: What!?

Me: You should go tell them there is a tornado on the way!

1 comment:

  1. Ok ....so i want to read the tornado story but the background on your blog is making it hard...can you change it...i really want to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete