Monday, April 5, 2010

Growing Monday- The Garden


What better way to make sure you work on your garden then by making it a subject on your blog for weekly discussion.  First off, I'm some what new to this whole green thumb thing.  I know how to put the seeds in the ground and even weed but I don't think I've ever had a successful garden in my life (and I grew up on a farm).  I'm going to try very hard on this one and even start small so more attention can be given to the success of the plants than the number.  Here is my grocery list:

  • Tomatoes (Cherry and what I call "Regular")
  • Strawberries
  • Lettuce
  • Sweet Peas
  • Herbs (Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Cilantro, & Oregano)
  • Maybe Peppers, onions, and a few other plants I haven't decided on yet)
We started working about a week before the official day of Spring.  Steve put together the raised bed and dug up some dirt from the back yard, and then it snowed about a foot on the first day of Spring.  It wasn't until last Tuesday that we finally got to get our hands dirty again.  It was also last Tuesday that we discovered that the "dirt" that had been dug up was really mostly clay.  We added more dirt, mixed and put it in our pots.

Then put the rest of the mixture in the raised bed.  
We needed more dirt to say the least.  Steve went to dig up some more but could only find clay, which meant plan B. B standing for "Buy it".  He went to the store and came back with what the salesman deemed, "Enough", and we still haven't filled the bed.  I hope next Monday you'll get to see a beautiful raised bed with little rows of to-be-plants in them.

On the bright side, I went to the KC City Market and picked up some tomatoes, and herbs for pretty cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment