Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Other Kitchen Lusts

So, Metric vs The American Recipe which is better?
I've often wondered way America was the only country that used Cups, tsp and Tbls to measure our food out, what are we missing? Exactness, ease, efficiency?  I'm thinking all three E's are wrapped up in the metric way of cooking.  I was watching a Irish cooking show and noted that she only used ONE measuring cup the one on the scale.  How much flour? 237ml, add on to that 15ml of salt etc.  Coming from a person who doesn't have a dishwasher and cooks and bakes a lot that sounds like a dream! So, for my kitchen lust a scale!

My other lust comes more from a need than anything.  recently, I've been trying out a lot more recipes and I find that a lot of people assume that you will have a food processor

"Pulse 30 times, until you get a crumbly dough," or "pulse until you get a paste."  Both of these instructions I have found in multiple recipes of things I would really like to make...like my own almond butter or the perfect pie dough.  So, I've been longing after one.  If I do get one the blender has got to go.  My house isn't too small but I HATE clutter and one more machine I think would put me over the edge (plus we already have the bullet blender, anyone want a Black and Decker blender?).  I'll have to keep you in the loop if I get either of these treasures but for now they will be dancing around in my dreams as they weigh out the flour and pulse butter into that flour.  I hope you have sweet dreams too.         

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, you read my mind! I want a food processor too, lol (and for pie crust non-the-less!) I got a neat little gadget that helps with my homemade noodles that I think you would find interesting...Matter of fact, I think you are a prime candidate for making homemade noodles! You are creative, and I think you would love the process :)

    BTW, let me know how having the scale works out if/when you get it. I always wondered about having one...

    ReplyDelete