Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Relish The Day



Do you have any weird things that you enjoy? I have three things that normally get some weird looks when I exclaim about how I enjoy them.  First is winter, especially when it snows! Second a trip to the dentist. It's like a pedicure for your mouth! and last is grocery shopping.

Grocery shopping has always been fun for me.  When I was little my mom would send me on item hunts or have me keep track of what still needed to be purchased.  When I got older and moved out on my own the joy of grocery shopping strengthened as my love of cooking strengthened.  It was so inspiring to walk down an isle and see whole grains, beautiful pastries, artisan breads, and greens that I'd never seen before.  What's for dinner? Why a beautiful baguette with roasted chicken, sauteed greens (I'm on a kale kick lately), and new potatoes coated in garlic, rosemary and olive oil.   I still find shopping at the market fun, but now there is an added element; a ticking bomb if you will that takes the leisure out of my beloved shopping experience.

N, though he loves seeing people gets rather impatient in the cart if he is there for awhile.  He can only put so many items in the cart before he is screaming to be let down.  If you let him down, he either gets stuck looking at something or starts to reorganize the shelves (like he does at home).  I love N but he just doesn't get my need to peruse the artisan cheese section for twenty minutes at a time.

Something needed to be done.  I needed to get my inspiration before I hit the store, and when I got to the store, it needed to be a hit it and quit it type of trip.  No lingering, no "researching"; just get in, collect, pay and leave.  But how? For me I made the menu at the store because that was where I got my inspiration.

To solve my problem Steve, an avid Dave Ramsey fan, told me about a menu planning site that would help us save money and give us a shopping list.  No more need for inspiration just cook and enjoy... But the recipes were "boring" and I found myself not looking forward to cooking let alone shopping. "There has to be something else out there that is better than this." I thought.  So, I googled Menu planning sites and found Relish.

Relish is a menu building site.  You can either use what they have planned out or you can search their data base for additional recipes OR you can add your favorites and pick those and add them to your menu while still getting your department organized shopping list (totally a run-on sentence...sorry).  Also, unlike other menu sites Relish has recipes for breakfast, lunch, parties, and even make ahead meals that can be froze and reheated when needed (totally recommend the breakfast burrito!).  

I've been using it for almost a month and have really enjoyed the quality of the recipes (no instant potatoes here!), and how I can fit the menu to our busy schedule. i.e. Don't have time at night to cook, I'll plan one or more crock pot meals. Can only cook at night but you know you'll be tired, plan a quick 30 min meal!

In total my shopping has become quicker and easier while still keeping that experimentation alive and the baby happy!

P.S.
Do you have any quirky pleasures? 

1 comment:

  1. uh yes...I like the denist too and winter! So are these relish meals simple to cook with simple instructions like emealz? and I was wondering if I could maybe swap a few menu plans from you? I'm craving fresh good food and cassaroles are not sounding good at all right now. I plan to try this site out after emealz runs out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete